90 Years of Excellence

- 1924 -

In the 1920's, Everett was in the midst of a post World War I boom. Jobs were plentiful and lumber was king. When mill workers prospered the community and its physicians also thrived.

Dr. Samuel Caldbick, a surgeon who had established his Everett practice in 1910, recognized the major benefit of a group practice - access to a broader range of medical knowledge. To support this concept, he joined with Dr. Harry Secoy, Dr. Arthur Gunderson and Dr. Leo Trask to incorporate The Everett Clinic in 1924.

Offices were located in the Commerce Building in downtown Everett. Staff included one receptionist, one nurse and one lab technician. The doctors seldom worked less than 12 hours a day.

- 1930s -

1930

The new Clinic survived the depression due to foresight in contracting with local mills to cover workers' medical care. This provided sufficient resources for the Clinic to survive when mills were closed at the height of the depression.

1932

Dr. Caldbick bought the Central Building on the corner of Hewitt & Rockefeller.

1934

The Everett Clinic moved offices to the sixth floor of the Central Building.

1935-37

Drs. John E. Flynn and Harold Gunderson joined the Clinic, providing the core six physicians responsible for guiding The Everett Clinic through its first 50 years.

1939

The Clinic was one of the first medical facilities in the county to purchase an electrocardiograph machine to help diagnose abnormalities of the heart.

- 1940s -

As war engulfed the nation, several Clinic physicians joined the US Army. Penicillin was invented. New medical and surgical techniques were advancing at a furious pace. Continuous education became a top priority for Clinic physicians.

1946

Dr. George Drumheller and Dr. Paul Lauer joined the Clinic, bringing the Clinic's physician count to seven.

- 1950s -

1950

The day-to-day operation of the Clinic became a burden to the busy physicians. An office manager was hired to oversee business office duties.

1954

With the addition of Dr. Thomas Critchfield and Dr. Ralph Brown, the Clinic expanded its cramped office space to include the entire fifth floor of the Central Building. Late 1950s Four more physicians were added to the staff including Drs. John Woods, Irving Varley, Thomas Skalley, and Lucille Mason. Dr. Mason was one of the first female physicians in Snohomish County. Stan Hager, the first administrative manager, was hired. He played an integral part in numerous expansions and the recruitment of highly trained medical specialists from all over the nation.

- 1960s -

As the physician count grew to 13, over-crowding forced the decision to construct a new Everett Clinic facility along Colby Avenue and 39th Street.

1963

The Clinic's new 23,500 square foot facility was hailed as the most modern structure of its kind in the Puget Sound area. Revolutionary features included a free nursery, a minor emergency facility, and a pharmacy offering a drive-in window, nighttime service and free delivery. Several new physicians joined the Clinic bringing the physician total to 18 with support staff of 72.

- 1970s -

The Clinic expanded, adding an additional 7,000 square feet. Twenty one additional physicians were recruited, including specialists whose services were previously available only in Seattle.

1974-1975

More than 14,000 new patients were seen at the Clinic, necessitating further expansion of the facility.

1975

Five more physicians joined the Clinic. The second major facility expansion was completed, adding new laboratory, x-ray and physical therapy services, as well as optical and hearing centers.

1977

Associate Director, Richard Cooper (current CEO) was hired.

- 1980s -

1980

Total physician count grew to 37.

1981

The Clinic opened its first satellite facility in Marysville offering three physicians, x-ray and laboratory services.

1984

Cardiology services expanded offering coronary angioplasty procedure. Anesthesiologists were added to Clinic physician team.

1985

The Lake Serene (now Harbour Pointe) satellite facility was added.

1987

A satellite clinic was added in the Lake Stevens area.

1989

The Everett Clinic opened its first Walk-In Clinic in Everett.

- 1990s -

1990

Physician count increased to 75. Additional facility expansion included a full-service laboratory, CT scanning and mobile mammography services.

1993

The Marysville satellite was expanded to include a Walk-In Clinic. A satellite office was added in Snohomish. The Center for Behavioral Health opened, offering mental health services for patients.

1994

The Silver Lake satellite and Walk-In Clinic was opened. A Walk-In Clinic was added to the Harbour Pointe facility.

1995

The Everett Clinic Foundation was formed, offering support to non-profit agencies in the community. The Port Gardner satellite was added to the Clinic system. The Clinic grew to 130 physicians. The Everett Clinic joined with Wenatchee Valley Clinic to form CliniTech Information Resources.

1996

The Clinic's seventh satellite location was added in Stanwood. A three-level parking garage was completed at the Clinic's Main Campus.

1997

Construction of the 63,000 square feet Gunderson Building was completed, offering a surgery center, expanded Walk-In Clinic and Occupational Health services.

1998

The Center for Cancer Care was opened, offering support services for cancer patients. Additional physicians were recruited, bringing the physician total to 170. The Advanced Imaging Center was opened in the Clinic's Gunderson Building, offering highly advanced imaging capabilities with a new short-bore MRI. Nuclear Medicine was added to the Clinic's Radiology department.

1999

A full service eye center was opened in Marysville and The Advanced Imaging Center expanded services to include a DexaScan Bone Densitometer. The Clinic's eighth satellite location was added at Eastmont. The Everett Clinic was recognized as a major employer in Snohomish County with nearly 1,000 employees and 175 physicians.

- 2000s -

2000

The first pharmacy owned and operated by The Everett Clinic opened in Marysville. The Clinic also purchased the two existing pharmacies at the Main Campus in Everett and at Harbour Pointe.

2001

The Trask Surgery Center, the Clinic's second outpatient surgical facility, opened in December.

2002

The Everett Clinic was named as one of the Best Companies to Work For in Washington State by WA CEO Magazine. We started the Culture of Excellence program to identify care issues and improve patient safety. We also started the Shared Medical Appointments program and opened a Walk-In Clinic in Snohomish.

The Main Campus Obstetrics/Gynecology department moved to the Providence Pavilion for Women and Children. The Behavioral Health department also moved to Everett Marina Village on the waterfront.

2003

The Everett Clinic implemented the advanced access program (open schedules for same day appointments for patients) at five locations. They also started the remodeling process and image upgrade for Main Campus.

The Advanced Imaging department added three new ultrasound machines with sophisticated 3D and 4D capabilities.

The Everett Clinic was awarded the National Preeminence Award presented by the American Medical Group Association for successful adoption of a truly patient-centered model of care and for high provider and staff satisfaction results.

2004

The Everett Clinic was once again named as one of the Best Companies to Work For in Washington State by WA CEO Magazine. They also implemented a computerized prescribing system that allows physicians to view medical records in the exam room on a small laptop and electronically transfer prescriptions immediately to pharmacies.

Started implementation of filmless imaging called Stentor PACS at Gunderson and Main Campus.

Developed a comprehensive marketing and branding initiative.

Harold Dash, MD was named as the new president of The Everett Clinic, following the tragic passing of William J. MacDonald, MD.

Opened the North Puget Sound Center for Sleep Disorders - a joint venture between The Everett Clinic and Western Washington Medical Group.

The Everett Clinic formed a new company, Sentinel Assurance Risk Retention Group Inc. (SARRG) to provide professional liability insurance.

Advanced Imaging added 4D Ultrasound to allow physicians and patients to see four-dimensional images of babies in the womb.

2005

Washington CEO magazine named The Everett Clinic as one of the 2005 Best Companies to Work For in Washington State.

Received two 2005 patient safety awards from the Washington State Medical Association.

Selected for a national Medicare study to improve the quality and cost effectiveness of care for Medicare patients.

Opened The Everett Clinic Vision Center, consolidating Optical and Optometry services in Everett.

Broke ground for Providence Regional Cancer Partnership- a partnership of TEC, Providence Everett Medical Center, Western Washington Medical Group and NW Washington Radiation Oncology Associates.

Launched The Everett Clinic Improvement System, a new tool to help create change quickly and improve efficiency.

Stentor iSite PACS electronic imaging system fully implemented to reduce errors and lost films.

Expanded Lake Stevens satellite to include a Walk-In Clinic.

Consolidated OB services to the Pavilion for Women & Children.

Staff and physicians raised $36,470 for hurricane Katrina relief and TEC matched amount for total Red Cross donation of $73,000.

Implemented online refills allowing patients and staff the ability to conveniently order prescription refills online.

Provided year long support to Housing Hope through our Operation Outreach program.

2006

TEC honored as 2006 Employer of the Year by Everett Area Chamber of Commerce.

Successfully opened our eighth satellite: The Everett Clinic at Mill Creek. This new site features a unique patient-focused care model.

Awarded the first William MacDonald Leadership & Personal Development Fund Grant to sponsor a community program to increase skills of nurses working with high-risk teen moms.

Awarded 239 staff/physicians for their long-term commitment to TEC.

Sponsored 21 community events and donated nearly $500,000 to 34 non-profit organizations in our county.

Continued successful implementation of advanced access, allowing patients to be seen when they want to be seen.

Many new, high-tech innovative procedures introduced at TEC including: Cornonary CT Angiography and digital mammography.

Expanded many disease management programs for patients including diabetes, pap follow-up and smoking cessation.

2007

Electronic health records replaced paper charts at all Clinic locations.  The new electronic system successfully connected medical staff to a single patient record, ensuring that treatment decisions could be based on the most up-to-date information available and that patient care could be well coordinated when patients were treated by multiple providers.  

The Everett Clinic was one of four collaborative partners to open a regional cancer center in Snohomish County.  The Providence Regional Cancer Partnership was a community effort that brought all aspects of outpatient cancer care under one roof and some of the most sought-after cancer technology to the Puget Sound region.   

The Everett Clinic was honored with the national Acclaim Award for quality in healthcare by the American Medical Group Association (AMGA).  The Acclaim award is AMGA’s most prestigious quality award, honoring physician-directed organizations that provide the highest quality of care consistent with the Institute of Medicine’s six parameters: safe, effective, patient-centered, timely, efficient and equitable.  

The National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) recognized four Clinic physicians for their success in the Heart Stroke program, improving care for patients with cardiovascular disease by using evidence based guidelines.  

The Everett Clinic Foundation in its twelfth year surpassed $2.5 million in giving to non-profit organizations in Snohomish County.  

2008

Figure skaters from around the world gathered in Everett in late October to compete in Skate America, one of the largest figure skating competitions in the country. The Everett Clinic was chosen as the official medical provider of the event and responsible for the care of these world-class athletes. Broadcast nationwide on NBC, the Olympic-style event featured 60 elite skaters from 15 countries competing in ladies, men’s, pairs and dance. For many of these athletes, Skate America marked a major step on the road to the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, B.C.

Dr. Al Fisk, Chief Medical Officer, headed to the United States Senate to testify before the Finance Committee to discuss major legislation to improve the Medicare program. Dr. Fisk provided the perspective of health care providers treating patients who are enrolled in Medicare Advantage Private Fee for Service plans.

Kicked off our new “Go Green” campaign in an effort re-use, recycle, save energy and reduce waste.

My Chart, our online medical records system, rolled out to all Everett Clinic locations giving patients the ability to manage and receive information about their health. Over 6000 patients signed up for a My Chart account.

Walk-In Clinic wait times were posted on our website and updated hourly.

Our Imaging Department become officially film free and all x-rays moved to digital images.

Selected for the Congressional Advocacy Award for outstanding work in lobbying for policies that advance high quality, cost-effective, and patient-centered health care.

Recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) and the American Heart Association for utilizing evidence-based measures and providing excellent care to patients with cardiovascular disease or stroke.
Was one of only 10 physician groups across the country selected by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid to participate in the Physician Group Practice Demonstration, a four year long study. The second year report released by Medicare showed excellent results in several measurements for quality.

2009

The 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic virus reached The Everett Clinic in the spring. TEC took a lead role in helping the Snohomish Health District plan and operate mass vaccination clinics to distribute the H1N1 vaccine to the community, which proved challenging due to the H1N1 vaccine shortage. On Halloween, 22,862 people were inoculated with the H1N1 vaccine at ten sites throughout Snohomish County. A week earlier, 5,000 babies and pregnant women were vaccinated at the same sites. TEC operated three of the mass vaccination clinics and at times, there were 2000 people in line with a four hour wait. It was an enormous undertaking, but a successful one.

Visited by a congressional agency interested in what The Everett Clinic was doing on a local level to see how it could translate to a national scale. The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission (MedPAC) advises Congress on issues affecting the Medicare program. Representatives from MedPAC met with TEC leadership to investigate the benefits of rewarding healthcare providers who keep patients well, rather than just treat them when they’re sick. MedPAC was particularly interested in TEC because of our success with the Demonstration Project, which has shown it’s possible to raise the quality of care for seniors while lowering costs at the same time.

Our Oncology department more than doubled with the addition of the Western Washington Medical Group department of Hematology/Oncology providers and staff.

In collaboration with the Boeing Company and two other medical groups in the Puget Sound area, The Everett Clinic completed a two and a half year pilot program. The pilot program engaged a core multidisciplinary care team of Care Manger RN’s, MD’s, Behavioral Health and clinical pharmacists to provide enhanced proactive and reactive care to patients with chronic, complex conditions. Results show significant health improvements, increased patient satisfaction, improved quality of care, less missed days from work, improved quality of life and overall cost savings compared to usual care.

90 Years of Excellence at The Everett Clinic: Doing What is Right for Each Patient
Nine Locations Throughout Snohomish County

In 1924, four private practice physicians joined together to combine their knowledge and resources to benefit their patients. These founding fathers of The Everett Clinic were innovators, acting creatively to improve patient care. Everett was in the midst of a post-World War I boom. Jobs were plentiful and lumber was king. When mill workers prospered the community and its physicians also thrived.

The new clinic survived the Great Depression due to foresight in contracting with local mills to cover workers’ medical care.

Today, we see this spirit of innovation and continuous improvement is still very much a part of our culture at The Everett Clinic. We are working to improve quality and make healthcare more affordable. Our priority is to do what is right for each patient. Our focus on prevention—disease management, standardized work and seeing patients when they want to be seen—all combine to improve patient care while also reducing cost.

Providing value—service, quality and cost—allows us to operate profitably, recruit the best possible talent and successfully compete, all while providing high quality healthcare. This model of value-added care, incorporated into every aspect of our business, has put The Everett Clinic on the map as one of the most innovative and high quality healthcare providers in the country.

Together, we make lives better through health and healing.

1910 Dr. Samuel Caldbick, a surgeon, established his Everett practice
1924 The Everett Clinic founded by four physicians Dr. Samuel Caldbick, Dr. Harry Secoy, Dr. Arthur Gunderson and Dr. Leo Trask
1963 Founders Building opened, Everett
1977 25 physicians
1981 Marysville Clinic opened
1985 Harbour Pointe Clinic opened
1987 Lake Stevens Clinic opened
1989 First Walk-In Clinic opened, Everett
1993 Snohomish Clinic opened
1994 Silver Lake Clinic opened
1995 The Everett Clinic Foundation formed; 130 providers
1996 Stanwood Clinic opened
1997 Gunderson Building and Kemp Surgery Center opened, Everett 1998 The Everett Clinic bans pharmaceutical companies from physicians’ offices, one of the first medical groups in the United States to do so
2000 The Everett Clinic recognized as a state best place to work; 175 providers; $500,000 donated to nonprofits
2001 Trask Surgery Center opened, Everett
2006 Mill Creek Clinic opened; Providence Regional Cancer Partnership opened, Everett
2007 Electronic medical records replaced paper charts
2011 The Everett Clinic recognized as a national best place to work; 250 providers; $3.5 million donated to nonprofits
2012 Smokey Point Medical Center opened; The Everett Clinic was featured on the PBS documentary "U.S. Health Care: The Good News"
2013 The Everett Clinic recognized as the fifth largest private employer in Snohomish County; 500 providers and 2,000 staff caring for 300,000 patients