BrightScope Reveals the Top 25 Seattle Area-Based Companies With the Best 401k Plans
Friday, June 22, 2012
Moss Adams LLP Ranks No.1 and Makes Its First Appearance on the List, Pushing Formerly Ranked No.1, Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP, to No. 4
SAN DIEGO, CA--(Marketwire -06/14/12)- BrightScope (www.brightscope.com), a leading provider of independent financial information and investment research, today announced its second annual list of the top Seattle area-based companies with the highest ranked 401k plans containing more than $100 million in assets. This year BrightScope has extended the list to include the top 25 companies.
BrightScope obtains an increasing amount of its data directly from plan sponsors and record keepers, and augments these primary sources with data from publicly available sources such as the Department of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission. By analyzing and interpreting this data, BrightScope provides unprecedented transparency into the 401k industry.
"We are pleased to recognize these Seattle companies that excel in shaping their 401k plans to ensure dependable and positive retirement outcomes for their employees," said Dan Weeks, founder and COO of BrightScope. "These top 25 companies represent the best in the area when it comes to designing and running the highest quality 401k plans."
Noteworthy findings in the 2012 Top 25 Seattle area-based 401k Plans list include:
Company - Plan Name - BrightScope Rating
- Moss Adams LLP ranks No.1 and makes its first appearance on this year's list, pushing the former No. 1, Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP, to No. 4
- Second appearances: Alaska Airlines moves up one spot from No. 3 to No. 2, while Perkins Coie LLP drops one spot to No. 3, Microsoft Corporation falls 5 spots to No. 9, Milliman, Inc. falls six spots to No. 12 and Attachmate Corporation falls 14 spots to No. 21
- Lane Powell PC (6th), Russell Investment Group (7th) and the Boeing Co & Consolidated Subsidiaries (8th) are the three newcomers to round out the top ten
- Intermec, Inc. Financial Security and Savings Program merged into Intermec 401(k) Plan on March 5, 2010. The Intermec 401(k) Plan falls seven places from No. 9 to No. 16 on this year's list
- Formerly ranked No. 9, Weyerhaeuser Company fell off the list completely this year with a rating of 73.33
- Other key newcomers to this year's list: Marine Resources Group, PEMCO Mutual Insurance Company, Puget Energy, Inc. and Expedia, Inc.
BrightScope's 401k plan Rating was developed by BrightScope, Inc. with the help of leading academics and independent 401k fiduciaries. Analyzing more than 200 individual data points, the BrightScope Rating algorithm can calculate a single numerical score for each 401k plan in the country. The data points examined cover broad categories such as total plan cost, company generosity and investment menu quality.
- Moss Adams LLP - Moss Adams LLP Profit Sharing 401(k) Plan - Partners and Principals - 90.58
- Alaska Airlines, Inc. - Alaska Airlines, Inc. Pilots Investment & Savings Plan - 88.42
- Perkins Coie LLP - Perkins Coie Retirement and 401(k) Plan - 86.77
- Davis Wright Tremaine, LLP - Davis Wright Tremaine LLP 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan and Trust - 86.12
- Group Health Permanente - Group Health Permanente Medical Group Pension Plan - 85.97
- Lane Powell PC - Lane Powell PC 401(k)/Profit Sharing Plan - 85.51
- Russell Investment Group - Russell Retirement Plan - 84.75
- The Boeing Co & Consolidated Subsidiaries - The Boeing Company Voluntary Investment Plan - 84.52
- Microsoft Corporation - Microsoft Corporation Savings Plus 401(k) Plan - 83.04
- Group Health Permanente - Group Health Permanente 401(k) Plan - 83.00
- Cray, Inc. - Cray, Inc. 401(k) Savings Plan and Trust - 82.75
- Milliman, Inc. - Milliman, Inc. Profit Sharing and Retirement Plan - 82.71
- Marine Resources Group - MRG 401(k) Plan - 80.87
- PEMCO Mutual Insurance Company - PEMCO Financial Services 401(k) Plan - 80.69
- Puget Energy, Inc. - Investment Plan for Employees of Puget Sound Energy, Inc. - 80.64
- Intermec, Inc. - Intermec, Inc. 401(k) Retirement Plan - 80.20
- The Everett Clinic, Inc. - The Everett Clinic Profit Sharing and 401(k) Employee Savings Plan and Trust - 80.11
- Proliance Surgeons, Inc., P.S. - Proliance Surgeons, Inc., P.S. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan and Trust - 78.07
- Univar USA, Inc. - Univar USA, Inc. Valued Investment Plan - 77.96
- Plum Creek Timberlands, L.P. - Plum Creek Thrift and Profit Sharing Plan - 77.64
- Attachmate Corporation - Attachmate 401(k) Plan - 77.62
- Alaska Air Group, Inc. - Alaska Air Group, Inc. AlaskaSaver Plan - 75.30
- Swedish Health Services - Swedish Health Services Retirement Plan - 75.15
- Expedia, Inc. - Expedia Retirement Savings Plan - 73.46
- Premera Blue Cross - Premera 401(k) Savings Plan and Trust -73.36
BrightScope has rated nearly 50,000 401k plans, spanning more than 30 million workers and over $2 trillion in assets. Industry adoption of the BrightScope Rating will lead to more cost-effective plans, increased participation rates, higher employee satisfaction and better outcomes for the 60 million employees who depend on their 401k plan for retirement.
BrightScope is a financial information company that brings transparency to opaque markets through independent research and analysis. Delivered through web-based software, BrightScope data drives better decision-making for individual investors, corporate plan sponsors, asset managers, broker-dealers, and financial advisors. The BrightScope Rating™, developed in partnership with leading independent 401k fiduciaries, reviews more than 200 unique data inputs per plan and calculates a single numerical score which defines plan quality at the company level. In April 2011, the company launched BrightScope Advisor Pages™, the first comprehensive and publicly available directory of financial advisors designed to help consumers discover information and conduct due diligence on wealth management professionals. BrightScope also markets a suite of data analytics software products to Fortune 1000 companies, asset managers, broker-dealers, financial advisors, and other market participants. Public ratings for more than 46,000 retirement plans as well as rating definitions, criteria and methodologies, and information on more than 770,000 financial advisors and 45,000 advisory firms are available for free at www.brightscope.com.