Silver Lake Clinic pediatrician Dr. Leah Hastings writes a guest view for the Mill Creek Beacon on "Summer sun, safety and fun" with tips for using suncreen, protecting children against the sun and heat, and preventing sports injuries. Here are some of her tips.
On the playground:
- Younger children under 5 years old should play on equipment that is separate from older children
- Young children under age 4-5 should not be on climbing equipment that is taller than them.
- Make sure playgrounds have safe ground cover under the equipment such as wood chips, rubberized material or sand.
In the pool:
- An adult should be within an arm’s length of toddlers.
- Even for older children an adult should be available for focused supervision, not on the phone or reading.
- Swimming lessons are recommended for most children 4 and older and even for certain children under age 4.
On the field:
- Wear proper gear depending on the sport.
- Stretch before and after practice or a game.
- Strengthen muscles with conditioning exercises.
- Know when to stop because of pain.
- Take breaks during the year, ideally a couple months long, to prevent injuries due to over use.