Setsuko Hosoda, MD, MPH
"The doctor-patient relationship is a very sacred thing. A doctor's job is to accompany, teach and collaborate with patients through life's ups and downs."
I chose family medicine because I enjoy caring for individuals in the context of their families and communities. The idea of caring for someone from the cradle to the grave is unique to family medicine. Mind-body medicine is at the core of my practice and I have a strong interest in behavioral health.
Health "is a state of complete physical, mental and social wellbeing, and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity, is a fundamental human right and that the attainment of the highest possible level of health is a most important world-wide social goal whose realization requires the action of many other social and economic sectors in addition to the health sector."
—Declaration of the Alma-Ata
I enjoy painting, photography, ceramics, knitting, and anything that involves creativity. I have traveled and lived in many parts of the world and consider myself a world citizen.
- 18 years experience in USA & China
- Full-spectrum Family Medicine skills including pediatrics, gynecology, and obstetrics
- Experience in developing countries, urban underserved clinics in the United States, community health centers and at private international clinics and hospitals in China.
- More than 10 years teaching medical residents at Swedish Hospital (Seattle) and UCSF (San Francisco)
- Director of Behavioral Science at Swedish Family Medicine, emphasis on physician-patient communication skills and psychological health
- Clinical Professor (Adjunct) Juntendo University (Tokyo)
- Assistant Chief Medical Officer, Beijing United Family Hospital and Clinics (BJU), part of largest network of private international hospitals and clinics in China (United Family Healthcare)
Why The Everett Clinic?
Mind-body medicine groups have been an important part of my practice. When I mentioned this during my interview for TEC, not only was it met with enthusiasm, we made plans for incorporating this into my schedule.