Normal aging can cause some forgetfulness. It is even normal to have some trouble learning new material or needing more time to remember things. Normal aging does not lead to dramatic memory loss or a decline in mental abilities. Everyone has lapses in memory from time to time. It is important to talk to your provider if you or a loved one is experiencing memory loss and other cognitive symptoms that interfere with everyday life and relationships.
Take steps to keep your mind sharp as you age:
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fatty fish
- Don’t smoke or drink excessively
- Control cholesterol problems and high blood pressure
- Stimulate your brain
According to the Alzheimer’s Association, mental stimulation throughout your lifetime is important for your brain health.
Keep your mind active by:
- Increasing your level of social interaction
- Learning new skills
- Playing challenging games
- Attend classes, lectures or seminars
- Stay involved at family gatherings