Oculoplastic surgery (or oculoplastics) is a sub specialty of ophthalmology and facial plastic and reconstructive surgery that focuses on the eyelids, orbit, tear system and face. Oculoplastic surgery is performed for both medical and cosmetic reasons and includes reconstructive surgery, facial plastic surgery and minimally invasive cosmetic procedures. Dr. Yasmin Shayesteh, an oculoplastic surgeon, provides medical and surgical treatment for our patients.
Oculoplastic surgeons are ophthalmologists with two years of additional fellowship training in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery after their residency.
Oculoplastic surgeons can provide both surgical and non-surgical treatments. Surgical treatments may include eyelid surgery, tear duct surgery and facial plastic surgery. Non-surgical options include laser skin treatments, chemical peels, Botox and filler injections.
Common problems oculoplastic surgeons help with include:
- Eyelid lifts - functional and cosmetic
- Brow lifts - functional and cosmetic
- Surgery to remove lower eyelid bags
- Cosmetic Botox- including non-surgical brow lift
- Cosmetic fillers
- Botox for facial spasms
- Orbital tumors
- Removal of blind, painful eyes
- Reconstruction after cancer removal
- Removal of eyelid lesions
- Medical and surgical treatment for tearing in both children and adults